Monday, June 9, 2014

4 Reasons Self Publishing is For Me

When Entangled Publishing contracted my books Too Hot to Handle and Leaving Las Vegas... those were two of the most exciting moments of my life. Seriously. I became a published author with the backing of a great publishing house, and I got the opportunity to work with two rock star editors.

Now, I'm going solo with my next book: Tempting the Ringmaster.

Why the heck would I do that?

1. I got rejected. Lol. Seriously though, everybody loved my book (my editor managed to convince me to submit it multiple times because she liked it so much) but it didn't fit in any of Entangled's fabulous lines. Honestly, I feel pretty good about it. Because of the way romance lines target readers (building loyalty for the line and not necessarily the author), I would have needed to change my book dramatically before it could be contracted through my publisher (either taking out the suspense subplot, adding more suspense, taking out the sex, adding in more sex, etc.). I love this book. I think it's fantastic. It's smart, funny, and unique. (Okay, I've actually read one other circus book Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, I read it like ten years ago and don't remember the plot. There was a tiger. My book doesn't have a tiger.).

2. Control. I get to do it all myself. I don't have to change my book. I get to contract my own editor and my own cover designer (both of whom I love).

3. Creativity. I get the chance to experiment with marketing. Should I launch my ebook and my paperback at the same time? Should I launch them a month apart? Should I reach out to all my facebook friends (I have too many facebook friends) and market that way? Or, should I pay for marketing?

4. The Upside... Self publishing means that I get to build something myself. This isn't my first book (it's my third, and I've learned something new with every book I've published) and it won't be my last. Word on the street (okay, Hugh Howey, JA Konrath, and the knights of the Self Publishing Roundtable) is it takes five books before an author 'makes it overnight' (unless you're Hugh Howey, there's an exception to every rule). I'm going to write a heck of a lot more than five, and I'm going to enjoy my overnight success when it finally happens.

What about you? Any indie writers out there? What about readers?

Join my mailing list to receive news about my books! Get a free gift! Click here!

9 comments:

  1. I got the rights back to a couple of books that had been with a small publisher. I decided to revamp them, re-edit them and put them back on the market. I'm happy with the choice. I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally excited and really nervous... but I'm also really happy that this is happening (and overloading on the Self Publishers Roundtable, lol).

      Delete
  2. Good luck :) Keep us posted as to how your self-publishing is going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting ready to self-publish my fourth indie book in July and I have another indie series planned for the fall. I also like writing for a publisher, but I do like the control that indie publishing brings. It brings a lot of work as well, but the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion. Great post and good luck with the Ringmaster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All valid reasons. Go for it and the best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love self publishing for some of the reasons you cited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS> I see you live in the Motor City. Have you ever seen my man, Kid Rock there???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Kid Rock. Word is, he lives near the mayor.

      Delete